Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Snow FUN

Thanks for all of the input on my last post everyone. Definitely helped get my wheels spinning and hopefully I can come up with some minor changes to make them sell sell sell.

If you follow me on instagram (arichardson79) then you saw an abundance of happy snowy pics on there over the weekend. We had the BEST time in our local mountains and I wanted to share some more pics with you :)

We picked up Noah from school on Fri at 2pm and got right on the road. Typically, in good weather, the drive to Big Bear takes approximately 2.5 hours. It had been raining all day and the temp was low so we knew it would take a tad longer. BUT - we had no idea that it would take us close to 8 HOURS to get there. Yep. Brutal.

Before it got too snowy, this happened.....


It took a while to get them on just right, but luckily the kiddos and I were warm in the car while the hubby did all the hard work (did I mention how much I love that guy)......

(that's him in the side mirror. Brrrr.)
 
The drive basically looked like this the entire time. Brake lights. Ugh. As it got more snowy, the kids in the car ahead of us kept getting out and having snowball fights int he middle of the road. We would be stopped for 20-30 minutes at a time at some points due to cars sliding in the road, people who had their chains on wrong, collisions, etc. Noah was so restless in the car, he almost had a breakdown. lol.

All in all, we knew we would eventually get there so we just had to relax and make the best of it. Most of you saw on the news about that crazy ex-cop shooting up Big Bear. We knew of this going in to it and although it wasn't ideal, based on what we knew of the situation, we felt we would still be safe and didn't want to cancel our happy weekend.

When we woke up in the morning on Saturday, we had a fresh coat of white fluffy snow on everything. It was truly magical for this SoCal girl. So white and quiet and sparkly. Just beautiful.

 
Our first stop was "Magic Mountain" Snow play area. Time for some tubin'!
 
There was a cool "magic carpet" that would take you back up to the top. Sort of a lazy-tubers dream. Lol.
 
The kids had a blast!!
 

weeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Selfie (I am always the one behind the camera)

We had a GREAT time zooming down the hill and ended our day out with yummy pizza from a local pizza joint. YUM.
After we got back to the cabin, we found a cool sledding hill about 50 feet down the road. It was awesome!!!
Josh took some time to dig out a nice smooth path for the sleds while the kids and I hung out in the fresh powder.

There were even traces of Christmas around the forest...

Hayden was our sledding champ. She would bomb the hill with no fear and a HUGE smile on her face. SO cute to watch!

Occasionally she would end up like this.....
But she usually recovered quickly and got right back to sledding. Lol.

Papa of the year :)

My brother after a not so smooth landing. Lol.



I even bombed the hill a few times (pardon the butt shot)


After a loooong day of sledding and playing, it was time to soak in the hot tub :)

Noah and Hayden both said this was their favorite part of the trip :)
After a yummy homemade dinner, we finished up the night with some smores. Yum.

The next day, we did some more playing in the snow, sledding, and having FUN!







The crew:


siblings...
After a final soak in the hot tub, we packed our things and headed home. The ride home was a lot less eventful and we made it home in about 3 hours (including a stop for dinner and donuts). It was a truly magical weekend and we will definitely be going back next year!!!!

Happy hump day everyone :)

11 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks like a blast! I just took my youngest skiing, but I am still envious of the ton of snow you had and the cozy cabin (including hot tub).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great time! I'm glad you guys made it safe. I must admit that it's a little funny to me when people choose to go vacation in snow cause I'm so over it, haha. But I totally get it since I suppose you never see snow at home. :) glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how fun!! Looks like a lot of great memories were made, I could really use a vacay right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The drive looks harrowing, but the fun in the snow looks like so much fun! What a wonderful family bonding time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks like such an amazing trip- so much fun! i want to come play in the snow with you!!!!! and eat pizza. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome weekend... I'm so happy that you guys made such special memories together! Yay for local mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow - great pictures! It *almost* makes me want it to snow around here :) And I don't know why I didn't think of it, but we have a real fireplace in our new house...roasted marshmallows!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like SO much fun! Those tubes look like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Living now in Minnesnowta, my kids get a kick out of it when I tell them when we were young we used to "go" to the snow. Hey, you wanna go to the snow this weekend? Now that white stuff comes to me, but California snow was the best!

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  10. So so so so so so so fun!!! Love you xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss the snow so much. This post is awesome and made me realize I need to make a family treat to the mountains. =)

    ReplyDelete

I think I'm a comment-a-holic :)