Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Girly bookcase makeover - {LOVE}

Here is the before shot of the bookcase I got a a flea market recently. YIKES. I got it for a steal of a deal ($20) & it is a sturdy little thing. U-G-L-Y, but sturdy.
The finish on this beauty was ICKY! Thick and muddy, and just icky. I sanded it down as much as I could (those spindles on top gave me a bit of trouble), gave it 3 coats of white paint, distressed it a bit on the edges, and...........................
Taa-daa!!! I added the sweetest fabric that I bought on Etsy to the back and I think it's the perfect girly touch. I think this will look adorable in my baby girl's room.

She's got curves, oh yeah :)
So, pretty much, I think I'm in love! So girly & kind of vintage looking. Happy happy happy! I'll make sure to come back and show you where she ends up and how she looks covered with loads of girly goodness :)

21 comments:

  1. Ali,
    Oh my heck! Tooooo cute! You did an amazing job finishing it! Great touch to add the fabric to the background. I'm sure your little lady will love it, too!
    Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ~ what a fantastic transformation! It's so pretty now :-) (I must say that its original finish was...er...interesting LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabric on the back is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great find. I LOVE this bookcase! You did a fantastic job changing it up. Nice tough w/ the fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is amazingly awesome and girly! I love it! Nice job sister! -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is ADORABLE!!! i love the fabric- it makes the entire piece!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Fabulous makeover...love this:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!!!! Possibly my favorite makeover so far. Although, I love all the makeovers you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you finished that project fast! Yea for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Ali....Congrats on Cassie featuring this piece....It was very deserving. Your daughter must love it!

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this on Cassie's site and had to take a look! I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my!!! That could not be cuter!! Absolutely adorable Ali!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty and whimsical! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's gorgeous! I love the fabric choice.

    I had to comment when I saw this at Tatertots and Jello because I have that exact same bookshelf. I found it on the curb, and it was already painted white (dingy, though). I cleaned it and added scrapbook paper to the back, like you did with fabric. I'd like to repaint it again and add fabric next time I redo it. It holds my knitting yarn and I just love the lines of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm lovin' it! It was awful before but it turned out so fabulous!
    ~Mary
    www.thecraftygals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. You were Featured!!! That's awesome!!! Congrats! You deserve it : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of your best "makeovers" I know some people like this piece of furniture "ugly but sturdy".

    ReplyDelete

I think I'm a comment-a-holic :)