Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My 2011 Winter Mantle

Winter white.....with a bit of black, beige, & turquoise thrown in for good measure :)
After I packed up all of my Christmas decorations, I was left with a blank canvas. SO Refreshing! My mantel was the first to receive a winter revival & I love how it came out. It is admittedly a bit sparse, but I think having all the pretty Christmas "clutter" out for the whole month of December left me in a bit of a "minimalist" mood. I have plans to add to it for Valentine's day and I think that will give it just what it needs.
I found some branches at the park down the street from my house and gave them a face lift with some white spray paint (btw, I am head over heels in love with spray paint and all that it can do). I'm always very inspired by nature and it's fun to have elements of it sprinkled throughout the house. This is just a simple glass vase from WalMart with a fun fabric "coozie" around it. I layered a beige linen fabric, with a hand pleated black and white striped fabric, and finished it off with some sweet turquoise yarn. I can't really sew yet (it's on my to-do list for 2011), so I made the pleated ruffle by folding the fabric by hand and hot gluing it in place. Super easy to do :)
I made this pretty pom pom flower by using a tutorial I found over at Sew Chatty for inspiration. I pretty much want to make a billion of these and put them everywhere! Blogland is FULL of awesome ideas and tutorials....only one of the many reasons I love being a blogger :)


I love the look of the branches in this up-shot. I added a few paper flowers to the rustic branches to glam it up a bit, ha ha.
The elements are all a bit simple and a tad matchy-matchy, but once I add the pink for V-Day, I think it will all come together. Stay tuned people!!
linking up at Domestically Speaking :)


5 comments:

  1. Hi Ali...I'm so glad you found my new blog!! I lost all of my faithful followers and didn't want to be a loser trying to track everyone down....

    By the way, loving a little sparse....

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great!! Love your branch...and I think you need to do a post on the pleated coozie thing!

    and I love your blue 3-tier stand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE the linen!!! Great job! Aren't they fun to make?!?!? http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks beautiful, where do you find the time, I'm always so impressed with all that you do - esp when I read that you do it all YOURSELF!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! I love what you did with the all the bottle-wrapping!
    I, too, am a believer that spray paint can make almost anything better. It's almost just as good as wine that way.

    ReplyDelete

I think I'm a comment-a-holic :)