Thursday, January 5, 2012

And with this last craft....

I say to you......"Aloha!"
That's right people, tomorrow morning bright and early, I get on a plane to Hawaii!!!!! All by myself (well, not all by myself really, I'm flying with a girl friend). We are headed to Oahu to go to our friend's wedding on the North Shore. It is going to be AMAZING, I just know it!!! So, I will be back on Tuesday with a zillion pictures to share from paradise. I did want to share this easy-to-do Valentine's Day craft before I start packing my suitcase :)

I got these basic dollar store vases the other day and wanted to fancy them up a bit. SO many people make-over these little guys so I thought I would give it a shot too.
First I used goo-gone to remove the labels (WHY do dollar store labels have to be so sticky?!), and then taped off some stripes. Seriously!? Taping off level circular stripes is kind of hard. At least it was for me. Anyway, moving on...
I shoved grocery bags inside each one and secured it with my top stripe of tape so none of the paint would get inside.
Then I took them outside, grabbed a can of chalkboard spray paint that I had on hand and got to work. I ended up doing three coats with about 20 minutes or so in between coats.

Once it was dry to the touch, I removed the tape and waited about 24 hours for it to be fully dry. Ready for the reveal??!!


I filled 2 of them with candy hearts and a candle, and the other one got a $3.99 bouquet from Trader Joe's :)

Back view...
BIG picture...
I think they came out pretty cute!! They're very versatile too! You can write messages for any occasion :) Yay! This was a cheap, easy, and useful craft and I am happy with the outcome. I hope you like it too!

I'll be thinking of you while I'm in Paradise (ok, not really, ha ha). BYE!
Aloha people!!!! xo

15 comments:

  1. they came out SOOOO cute!!!! i love them all filled like that! and i totally read "they are versatile" as they are "reversible" and i was like "huh?". yeah. man where is my head. i must not have half a brain. ;)
    miss you so much! have fun in hawaii and say aloha to everyone for me!!!
    aloha! (cuz it means bye, too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww i love them. Such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to make the entire world jealous of you Ali! ;) JK, that's SO fun you get to go to Hawaii! Lucky girl! And I really love those vases, they turned out great. I guess it is time to start thinking about Valentine's day huh? thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute idea! And a wedding in Hawaii, how wonderful! Take lots of pictures! Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The glasses are great! Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so fun, Ali! Have a great time in Hawaii! A wedding in paradise...how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!! So many awesome possibilities!! Have a wonderful time in Hawaii!!!! Enjoy every moment. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love! I think I MIGHT have to try this one:) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You lucky, lucky girl! Hope you had tons of fun this weekend in PARADISE! Can't wait to see the pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S.--I'm not ready to think about Valentine's Day yet but the vases are cute and so you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. holy cuteness! love the vases!! um...i'm also totally jealous that you've been in hawaii!! can't wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, love this craft! Great job! New friend here, stop by for a visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely need to get my hands on some chalkboard paint! The possibilities are endless!! I am a new follower!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful way to upcycle jars as well...especially when you get ones with "ridges"...good for chips not your glass jars ;} Founded your link on the Weekend Wrap Up Party.
    www.loveshackliving.com
    Have a great weekend and good luck with the giveaway. Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it Love it Love it. Have a great trip and thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

I think I'm a comment-a-holic :)