Friday, May 6, 2011

Hayden's Little/Big Girl Room: Part 1

My little Hayden turned two in March, and she is turning into a "big" girl right before my eyes. She's still my little peanut of course, but she is growing so much and learning new things on an every-minute basis, it's hard to keep up. I wanted to start transitioning her room to her "Little/Big girl" room, so that in about 6 months when she gets her big-girl bed, the rest of the room will be ready to go. I've been working on a few projects lately and have finally finished one of them (like I've said before, chicken with my head cut off). Drum roll please..................Ta-daa!!!! Hayden's wall-o-magnet boards :)

Ok, let me start from the beginning. The color scheme in Hayden's little/big girl room is going to be light pink, buttery yellow, white, and some turquoise thrown in for good measure. {DREAMY SCHEMEY}. I knew I wanted to make some sort of magnetic wall system in her room so I went right to Home Depot to see if they carried "magnetic" metal sheets. It sounded silly to me when I asked the worker if they had magnetic metal, but I guess some metal isn't magnetic, so he said it was a valid question. Luckily for me, they did. And, as a bonus, it was pre-cut to the perfect size (12x16 I think). I bought 4 metal sheets (at $4.99 each), which was a little pricey for me, but super low hassle so I went with it. Next step, Joann's fabric. It was HARD to decide what fabric to use. I wanted it to go with the color scheme but not be matchy matchy. Hayden was whining and bugging me the whole time we were there, so that didn't make it any easier. I'm happy with the 2 prints I ended up with in the end. Sort of subtle, versatile, & pretty. 

Pink:

Yellow:

I used spray adhesive to attach the fabric to the metal sheets and it worked like a charm (oh yeah, here's a quick tip. Make sure you nail holes in each corner of your metal sheets before you cover them with fabric so they will be easier to attach to the wall). After that, I nailed them to the wall on all four corners. This would have been "easy peasy" but my drywall was not lovin' my nails. In fact, I could just pull them right out with my fingers. Grrr. Not going to work! So, I politely asked my hubby to use drywall screws to secure them to the wall. This was only a semi-genius solution because our drywall screws were big and black. ICK.

Because of the big black screws, I ended up trimming the boards in light pink grosgrain ribbon. You can still kind of see the screws through the ribbon a bit, but I have surrendered and AM FINE WITH IT...ha ha.

Paper pennants and magnetic photo holders make it extra cute (in my opinion of course). I added a white key-holder so she could hang up her jewelry/purses, and I spray painted some plastic alphabet letters & metal hooks pink so they would blend in :)

And this is what happens when your mom likes to make hair clips. Hair Clips galore!! This cute Paris map memo board came from Target about a year ago and it totally fits in the color scheme. I think I may need to thin out her clip selection a bit though, ha ha!
And here's the wide shot for you. The closet is to the left, and the door to the room is on the right.
I'm happy with how it came out and Hayden loves it too! Now we can start her souvenir magnet collection so she can be just like her big brother. Another project done! About a zillion more to go :)

11 comments:

  1. adorable! i just love your fun style! and i was emailing my bro yesterday and he suggested i be there for the 2nd weekend of sept so i can come to the rose bowl flea... oh how freaking awesome would that be if we can go???? i am going to check with chris on dates, but i really want to come. if i did it looks like it would be a thurs through weds. yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would just have to provide some labor to my brother on his house since he has done that for me in the past. and then i get to stay for free. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! I bought a sheet of metal to cover like about a year ago and maybe one day I will actually do it! Yours look awesome and I love the fabrics you picked out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute! if you didnt like the ribbon you maybe could have disguised the screws with fabric flowers or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE IT! It's really beautiful, Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG...this is sooo awesome!What a unique way to use wall art. I love all of the hair clips too....Why don't you take small flowers and glue gun them onto the black screws on all of the corners...That would totally hide them...

    I can't wait to see what you do with the whole room....

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these.

    I need a little girl and a TON of your adorable hair clips. Hmm. Project for next year, jk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out adorable! I am your biggest fan sister (although I do have some rivals in that department it seems - LOL) and am in love with everything that you do!
    xo
    L

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a GREAT idea! I love the color scheme and the fabric you chose. I was just thinking today (as I'm redoing my son's room in to a "big boy" room) that he needed some kind of memory/magnet board. I think I might be making a trip to Home Depot in the near future ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is super cute!! : ) I'll have to do something like this when my baby girl gets older! She has a shabby chic room and I have a ton of left over fabric from her bedding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry I'm late on commenting...SO ADORABLE Ali!!!! Very creative idea. I love how girlie it is.

    ReplyDelete

I think I'm a comment-a-holic :)