Monday, May 9, 2011

Hayden's Little/Big Girl Room: Part 2

Introducing Hayden's Bird-a-lier!! A Bird-a-what?? A Bird-a-lier! Yes, you read that right, ha ha!!!

Ok, here's the back story. None of the bedrooms in our house are hard-wired for light fixtures. No recessed cans, track-lights, or chandeliers. Boo. So, we've been forced to use the ever-heinous torchiere lamps from fancy places like Target & Home Depot. Eventually, down the road, I would love love love to have the rooms properly lit. Until then, we'll make it work. Well, I've seen some awesome people making awesome light-fixtures using thrift store lamp shades lately. Give it a try??? Sure, why not!? Well........NOT. Ha ha. Ok, let me clarify. I got a lamp shade at a local thrift shop for $1.50. It was a brand new shade with the plastic wrap still on it. I ripped all the fabric off to expose the frame, and ended up spray painting it pink. BUT, because this was a new shade that was fairly good quality, the glue that held the fabric on was lumpy and definitely noticeable. So, being the freaking genius that I am (enter sarcastic tone here), I decided to wrap the thing in yarn. yes, yarn. Remember how much I loved making yarn wreaths??! Well, this was a yarn wreath on steroids! So tedious and aggravating I can not tell you. I do not recommend it. Anyway, once it was wrapped in yarn, I wanted to fancy it up somehow. Crystals?? No. Beads?? No. Pom poms, YES!

Next, I went to IKEA and got one of those light-bulb cord kit things that people use in paper lanterns. I figured I would plug it in to the switch that turns the light on and off and it would replace her yucky torchiere lamp.     NOT.      The exposed light bulb was blinding and the cord running down the corner of the room was not attractive at all. So, plan B. Throw it away and move on. Ha ha. Ok, just kidding. I will not let the lamp shade defeat me! No way! Hmmmmmm. Let me remind all of you that my brain is a strange strange place filled with strange strange ideas. That said, I rigged up this little contraption, and yes, covered it in YARN. A lamp harp, a twig, and some E6000 was all I needed to "make it work."  (disregard my scratched up desk. I haven't bothered to refinish it because I prefer to use it as a cutting mat...I know, I know).


I added a little pink bird I got at Michael's on clearence a while back and wallah! For under $3 total, Hayden is now the proud owner of her very own Bird-a-lier. Something that originally was supposed to have a "purpose," turned into something purely decorative (which is not really my thing). But, my little girl loves it and so do I.

So, have you decided yet?? Am I a coo-coo crazy person!? Does it look so home-done and lame that you want to stop following my blog?? OR, if I told you I got it at Urban Outfitters on Clearance, would you think it was a MAJOR score??!!


Tweet tweet.   Ok, a little coo-coo :)

18 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! i am going to work up some energy to talk myself into having the patience to attempt it! i am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it! It's so so pretty and girlie!
    Jo-Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely LOVE it! I have a leftover lampshade from my hair bow holder lampshades and I just might have to use it to make a little bird-a-lier of my own! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! It's perfect for her room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ali!!!! aaaaaah!!!! that is fantastic!!!!!!! you have been keeping it secret, you stinker! oh my goodness!!!!! love love love it! her room is oh so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. coo coo? maybe? but not because of the bird-a-lier. ;-) kidding. IT'S FABULOUS!! It has everything that I love, aqua, pom poms, birds, chandelier!! I can't get over how you made it look like a bird cage!! So cuuuute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is adorable and fun! How clever you are! Hayden's room is darling, too. I hope you had a great Mother's Day, Ali.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so stinkin cute! thats all i can say. i expect to see many bird-a-liers linked up to parties in the near future = )

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely adorable. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are to awesome!!! This is fantastic...I can't even imagine how long it took you, but the end result is well worth it...


    By the way, I was totally thinking of you with my giveaway this week....

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this is just so lovely!!! And the room is darling...;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hayden's "birdielier" is lovely, but the photo of your children in your header is to DIE for...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cute! I am going to keep this on my to-do list! Just pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. aww this is so fun! Love it! found you over at embellishing life, come by for a visit sometime :)

    Jackie
    http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH MY GOODNESS! This is just the most adorable and creative lil thing! LOOOVE IT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I think I'm a comment-a-holic :)